Abakkus Asset Manager LLP is an alpha-focused asset manager based in India. Mr. Sunil Singhania founded it in 2018 and called it after the simplest ancient computing device, the abacus. The goal and aim of Abakkus is to become one of India’s most reputable and successful asset managers. This ideology has shaped the Abakkus portfolio’s beliefs: Keep things as straightforward as possible. Be a firm believer in the basics. Focus on the fundamentals and numbers.
|Year of Inception||Oct 2021|
|Number of Stocks||15-20|
|Investment Horizon||5 Years|
|Fund Managers||Sunil Singhania|
- Benchmark Agnostic Flexi-cap diversified portfolio of around 30 companies
- Endeavor to generate alpha over 3-5 years holding period
- Limited exposure of up to 15% in smaller companies\special situations at the time of investment to generate additional alpha
- Select IPO investments as an Anchor Investor \ QIB \ Pre-IPO.
- Single stock exposure at max 10% and sector exposure below 30% at the time of investment
– Abakkus is an alpha focused boutique asset manager managing over INR 7000 crores* in long only strategies for Indian equities
– Their offerings include
- Close ended Category III Alternative Investment Funds
- Advisory Services for Domestic and Global Investors
- Portfolio Management Services
– In just 3 years of incorporation Abakkus has established itself in the Indian equity horizon both in terms of performance and growth in assets
– Ambition and vision is to make Abakkus, one of India’s most revered and top performing asset managers over time
- Concentration risk: Diversified portfolio of around 30 companies, single stock exposure limited to less than 10% and sector exposure limited below 30% at the time of investment.
- Company risk – The best way to handle company risk is by knowing in-depth details about what you own and why you own. There is no substitute for this. Our uncompromised focus on balance sheet and fundamental numbers will help us in mitigating the same.
- Valuation risk – While there is no right or wrong valuation number, we are definitely wary of overpaying. We would be maintaining discipline on this.
- Market risk – We would be focusing more on the portfolio than trying the futile guess over where markets are headed. While we would be definitely monitoring the market, we believe the best way to handle market risk is by being patient.
- Liquidity risk – Liquidity can be a near term risk in broader market, however the flexi cap portfolio is designed to take care of this, with the ability to move across large cap and broader markets providing stability and liquidity to the portfolio. We would urge investors to factor in a 3–5 years time horizon for investing.
Abakkus is a solid AMC to consider investing in because of the strong track record of initial performance, the high credentials of the main investment team, and a well-defined investment strategy. The other unique features are:
- Diversified all-cap portfolios without regard to benchmarks.
- Fundamental concepts were chosen via a bottom-up methodology.
- allocation of large-cap stocks based on a top-down sector approach with stability in mind.
- Alpha results from exposure to businesses with sustainable operations and strong ROEs in a larger market.
- Try to build alpha and wealth by purchasing with a normal holding time of 3-5 years.
15:15:15 Restrictions: Invest mostly in businesses meeting at least two of these three requirements.
Abakkus Asset Manager LLP is an Indian asset manager that focuses on alpha. It was founded in 2018 by Mr. Sunil Singhania and is named after the simplest ancient computing equipment, the abacus. Abakkus’ objective and vision is to become one of India’s most respected and successful asset managers.
The Abakkus portfolio beliefs have been moulded by this philosophy:-
- Profitability is predicted to expand faster than the market average for growth companies.
- Stocks with acceptable growth prospects that are fundamentally undervalued for value companies.
- Buy and hold: Invest in stocks as if you were investing in a company. Invest as if you’re a partner.
- Small businesses with a scalable business plan that have the potential to grow into large cap enterprises over time
- Research from the bottom up with a focus on the balance sheet.
- Earnings, Earnings, Earnings, Earnings, Earnings, Earnings, Earnings, Earnings
About Fund Managers
Sunil Singhania ( Founder )
Sunil Singhania holds a bachelor’s degree in business from Bombay University and a Chartered Accountancy degree from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), Delhi, with an all-India rank. He has also obtained the privilege to utilise the CFA Institute’s Chartered Financial Analyst credential.
Sunil has over 25 years of experience as a CFA. He is the founder of Abakkus Asset Management, LLP, an asset management firm focusing on India that he founded in 2018. He was previously a Global Head of Equities at Reliance Capital Ltd. Singhania has guided Reliance Mutual Fund’s (now Nippon India Mutual Fund) equities schemes to be recognised among the top as CIO – Equities. Under Singhania’s direction, the Reliance Growth Fund (now Nippon India Growth Fund) increased by more than 100 times in less than 22 years. He is also the first person from India to be elected to the CFA Institute Board of Governors, where he now chairs the Investment Committee and serves on the Nominating Committee.
Aman Chowhan – Fund Manager, EXP. : 20 Years
▪ Part of Investment Committee, Leads the investment team and works closely with Sunil in Fund Management.
▪ Prior to joining Abakkus he was Portfolio manager for all local and offshore schemes for PMS division of Reliance Nippon Life Asset Management.
▪ Having worked at Singapore office of Reliance, Aman brings along a regional and global perspective in investing and has strong track record across – long only, absolute and long-short strategies.
▪ Prior to Reliance in 2005 he was part of the research team at TAIB securities, Tata TD waterhouse and other brokerage firms. Aman holds an MBA degree from Mumbai University.
Mr. Deven Sangoi – Senior Fund Manager
Deven Sangoi is Senior Fund Manager at Abakkus. He has experience of 22 years on the asset management side, out of which 10 years in mutual funds space and 12 years in the insurance industry. His previous assignment was Chief Investment Officer (CIO) of Canara HSBC OBC life, managing both Equity and Fixed Income with a corpus of around USD 4 bn (INR 25,000 Cr). Previously he worked with many reputed organizations in financial service space which include names such as Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance Ltd, Aditya Birla Sun Life Asset Management Co. Ltd, ICICI Prudential Asset Management Co. Ltd & Canara HSBC OBC Life Insurance. He is graduated in Electronics Engineering from Mumbai University and holds a post-graduate degree in Finance from Newport University.
|Product - AMC||Category||AUM (in Cr.)||Performance||1M||3M||6M||1Y||2Y||3Y||5Y||10Y||SI|
Abakkus Emerging Opportunities ApproachAMC Name: Abakkus Inc Date: Aug-20
|BSE SmallCap 250||6.2||8.5||6.1||5.7||38.4||NA||NA||NA||35.4|
Abakkus All Cap ApproachAMC Name: Abakkus Inc Date: October 29, 2020
Abakkus Growth Fund - 1AMC Name: Abakkus Inc Date: Jul-18
|S&P BSE 200||4.5||8.7||7.6||5.6||27.4||19.2||NA||NA||12.9|
Abakkus Emerging Opportunities FundAMC Name: Abakkus Inc Date: Nov-21
|S&P BSE 500||4.6||8.6||7.5||5.4||28.1||19.7||NA||NA||15.3|
Abakkus Growth Fund - 2AMC Name: Abakkus Inc Date: Jul-18
|S&P BSE 200||4.5||8.7||7.6||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||0.2|
Disclaimer: Investing Involves Risk. This document is for information purposes only and should not be viewed as a legal offering document or solicitation. Offers to invest in this fund are made only by the Discretionary Portfolio Management Services Agreement. Past performance does not guarantee future results and there is no assurance that the managed accounts will necessarily achieve their objectives. We do not guarantee any returns in the hand of investors not we take any sort of accountability for the performance of the scheme. The above-mentioned data is collected from the respected Fund house please verify the same at SEBI website.