About ICICI Prudential
A major asset management firm (AMC) in the nation, ICICI Prudential Asset Management Company Ltd. focuses on bridging the divide between savings and investments and building long-term wealth for investors through a variety of straightforward and pertinent investment solutions.
The AMC is a partnership between Prudential Plc, one of the UK’s biggest participants in the financial services industry, and ICICI Bank, a reputable and well-known brand in financial services in India. During the course of the joint venture, the business has established itself as a leader in the Indian mutual fund sector.
|Investment Horizon||4 Years & Above|
|Fund Type||Multi-Cap PMS|
|Benchmark Index||S & P BSE 200 index|
|Investment across||Market capitalization|
|Minimum Investment Amount||Rs. 50,00,000|
|No. of Stocks||23|
|Top 10 Holdings||61.21%|
|Top 5 Sectors||67.77%|
|Indicative Investment Horizon||The ideal investment horizon shall be 4 years and above|
|Direct Option||Investor’s may invest with us directly as well|
Key Structural Reforms in Past and its Impact on India Corporates
- RERA & Goods & Services Tax
- Insolvency & Bankruptcy Code
- Corporate Tax Rate
- Production Linked Incentive / China Plus One Business Strategy
- Increase in Budgeted capital expenditure in the Union Budget of FY 2022-23 of 35%
Core Belief: Companies create wealth, not markets
Aims to Identify Prominent Businesses, Competent Management, at Reasonable Valuations
1st Filter: Business
- Company growing faster than industry & industry faster than market
- Qualitative assessment based on the concept of “economic moats*”
- Foreseeable changes in business leading to a positive outcome
2nd Filter: Management
- Focused on growth, improving margins & prudent capital allocation
- Competent managers with a credible track record
- Fair corporate governance standards, with aligned shareholder interests
3rd Filter: Valuation
- Cash flow is central in our Investment Process about a company’s value
- Evaluation of margin of safety required according to the ‘moat’ and competence of management
- Better risk reward profile
The Circle of Competence
- Meaningful Growth
- Evaluate Moat
- Cash, not accounting profits
- Improving HNI
- Management Leadership
- Evaluate Margin of Safety
Evaluation, Selection, and Sizing
- Initial in-house screening process – 2500 Companies
- Active coverage of company – 440 Companies
- Applying the BMV Filtration – 100–150 Companies
- Identifying potential Opportunities – 40-45
- Portfolio Construction – 25–30 Companies
High Entry Barriers Businesses going through Unfavorable Business Cycle
Investing into sector or companies where prevailing sentiments are not positive at the time of purchase. Aims to invest into Competent Players / Survivors within the sectors
Consolidation in Industry
Industry challenges leading to a reduction in players. Distress exits may create growth opportunities for existing players.
This may include, Mergers, Acquisitions, Changes in Holding-Subsidiary company, Product, or department spin offs, etc.
How does it work?
- Identification of sectors or companies which are facing temporary headwinds.
- Parameters such as RoE, RoCE, Market Cap by Cash Profit, P/E, Corporate Governance & Capital Allocation Track Record are used to determine investability
- Concentrated portfolios of high conviction ideas.
ICICI Prudential PMS Contra Strategy (the “Contra Strategy”) seeks to generate capital appreciation by investing predominantly in equity and equity related instruments through contrarian investing.
Types of Securities
Predominantly invests in listed equity and equity related securities. The Contra Strategy may also take exposure to exchange-traded derivative instruments for hedging purpose. For liquidity or defensive considerations or pending deployment, the Portfolio Manager may invest in debt, money market instruments, mutual fund schemes or debt ETFs.
The Contra Strategy predominantly selects stocks following a Contrarian style of investing.
There could be times when securities selected based on their relevancy to the investment style followed by the Portfolio Manager underperform relative to other stocks or the overall markets. This could impact performance.
- The Contra Strategy aims at maintaining a diversified portfolio without any undue concentration in any sector or stock and the portfolio may underperform relative to concentrated portfolios during certain periods of time.
- The Contra Strategy invests across market capitalization. Hence, risks relevant to investing in small and mid-cap stocks are also applicable for the strategy.
- The Contra Strategy predominantly invests in equity and equity related securities including exchange-traded derivatives and liquid and other short term mutual fund schemes including liquid ETF. Below are the risk factors relevant for each security:
- Risks related to equity and equity related instruments
- Risks related to derivative investments
- Risks related to investments in debt and debt related instruments
About Fund Manager
Parag Thakkar :ICICI Prudential – Mutual Fund Manager
Parag Thakkar is a commerce graduate & with over 14 years of experience. Before joining ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund, he worked with HDFC Securities, Quant Capital, and Brics Securities.
Basis for selection of securities as a part of investment approach
The Portfolio Manager follows ‘Contra’ style of investing which involves taking contrarian bets on equity stocks, i.e., taking calls/exposure on underperforming stocks which are currently not in favor in the market but are expected to do well in the long run. The Portfolio Manager may also select stocks of companies in sectors where entry barriers are high, sectors in consolidation or of companies in special situations.
Justification of Benchmark
The Portfolio Manager under the Contra Strategy will aim to have optimal diversification across stocks and high conviction picks that have potential to generate higher alpha. S&P BSE 200 index constitutes top 200 companies by market capitalization representative of large and mid-capitalization companies. Therefore, the index is ideal benchmark for the portfolio.
Strategy : Equity
Types of Securities
The Contra Strategy predominantly invests in listed equity and equity related securities. The Contra Strategy may also take exposure to exchange-traded derivative instruments for hedging purpose. For liquidity or defensive considerations or pending deployment, the Portfolio Manager may invest in debt, money market instruments, mutual fund schemes or debt ETFs.
Top 10 Holdings
|ICICI Bank Ltd||7.71|
|State Bank of India||7.06|
|Bharti Airtel Ltd||6.88|
|HDFC Bank Ltd||6.31|
|Larsen & Toubro Ltd||6.24|
|Bank Of Baroda||5.78|
|Tata Steel Ltd||5.65|
|The Great Eastern Shipping Company Ltd||5.55|
|Hindalco Industries Ltd||5.43|
|VRL Logistic Ltd||4.60|
Top 5 Sector Exposure
|Sector Name||Allocation Percentage|
Diversified Across Market Cap
|Product - AMC||Category||AUM (in Cr.)||Performance||1M||3M||6M||1Y||2Y||3Y||5Y||10Y||SI|
ICICI Prudential PMS Value StrategyAMC Name: ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd. Inc Date: 28-Jan-04
ICICI Prudential PMS Contra StrategyAMC Name: ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd. Inc Date: 14-Sep-18
|S&P BSE 200||-2.90||-1.40||10.90||9.60||6.70||22.00||15.40||NA||12.80|
ICICI Prudential PMS Growth Leaders StrategyAMC Name: ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd. Inc Date: 22-Dec-00
|S&P BSE 200||-2.90||-1.40||10.90||9.60||6.70||22.00||15.40||NA||12.20|
ICICI Prudential PMS Largecap StrategyAMC Name: ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd. Inc Date: 17-Mar-09
|S&P BSE 100||-2.70||-3.10||6.50||7.00||5.20||19.30||14.30||NA||15.60|
ICICI Prudential PMS PIPE StrategyAMC Name: ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd. Inc Date: 5-Sep-19
|Nifty Mid Small-cap 400||-2.90||-1.40||10.90||9.60||6.70||22.00||NA||NA||18.20|
ICICI Prudential Growth Leaders FundAMC Name: ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd. Inc Date: 9-Nov-21
|S&P BSE 200||-1.50||5.80||14.70||8.10||NA||NA||NA||NA||4.10|
ICICI Prudential Long Short Fund - Series IAMC Name: ICICI Prudential AMC Ltd. Inc Date: 20-Aug-18
Disclaimer: Investing Involves Risk. This document is for information purposes only and should not be viewed as a legal offering document or solicitation. Offers to invest in this fund are made only by the Discretionary Portfolio Management Services Agreement. Past performance does not guarantee future results and there is no assurance that the managed accounts will necessarily achieve their objectives. We do not guarantee any returns in the hand of investors not we take any sort of accountability for the performance of the scheme. The above-mentioned data is collected from the respected Fund house please verify the same at SEBI website.